History

History

The Winter Park Garden Club was one of first to founded in the State of Florida in 1922!  Grace Edwards, who was the first president, along with the board determined goals of promoting gardening and beautifying the City of Winter Park.

WPGC was one of four clubs to institute the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs and become associated with National Garden Clubs, Inc.  This is the largest garden club establishment in the world which is a not for profit educational organization.

Throughout the years WPGC has broadened to protect and conserve our natural resources, promote civic beautification, encourage the improvements of roadsides and parks, encourage the establishment of botanical gardens, arboreta, and horticultural centers and assists deserving students through college scholarships in science fields of study.  Thru FFGC, programs such as Wekiva Youth Camp and SEEK install in our youth the love of gardening and respect for and protection of the environment.

Over the years these are some of the programs implemented

  • *Flower Shows to display horticulture, floral designs and educational exhibits.
  • *Garden tours
  • *Mead Garden opened with the assistance of Dr. Edwin O. Grover and John Connery
  • *Neighborhood Circles formed to encourage friendships while learning
  • *Won State awards for Civic Achievement, Yearbook, Garden Therapy, “Festival in the Park”, and Fun With Flowers
  • *Presented Camperships for Wekiva and SEEK
  • *Established an endowment for continuing scholarship funds to UCF
  • *Offer Cheer Mugs to residential nursing homes each month
  • * Served as Officers on the District VI Board, Deep South Board and National Board of Garden Clubs

Contact Us

Copyright © 2019. All Rights Reserved